Whitepaper : Understanding Database Backup Strategies
- Determine what to backup and where to backup to.
- Decide when to backup and how to backup.
- Test your backups.
As seasoned database administrators, you should be well on top of your backup strategies. These strategies are not written in stone. It is a journey that any database administrator needs to refine over time. Continue to explore new capabilities of the platform that enhance your backup experience.
The basic building block of any effective backup relies on knowing what we need to backup. An adequate backup protects us from a multitude of possible failures occurring within our database as well as our backups. For systems that require 24 x 7 x 365 use, it is essential to know the database access patterns before any backup takes place. The database platform can provide a range of capabilities. Moreover, it is vital for us to know which of these are under production. Realize the real value of backups only when we can restore data after a disaster.
This whitepaper presents the basic fundamental building blocks of working with backups. The whitepaper touches upon determining what to backup and where to backup to, deciding when to backup and how to backup, and testing your backups.
Presenter: Pinal Dave
Pinal Dave is a technology enthusiast and an independent consultant, specializing in SQL Server performance tuning and optimization. He has authored 11 SQL Server database books, 21 PluralSight courses, and over 4,000 articles on database technology on his blog at “sqlauthority.com”. Along with more than 14 years of hands-on experience, he holds a Master of Science degree and several database certifications. He is also a CrossFit Level 1 trainer.
Register to read the full whitepaper.
- Whitepaper: Database Backup Compression Versus File Deduplication
- Whitepaper: How Compliance Impacts Backup Strategy
- Whitepaper: How To Develop And Test A Disaster Recovery Plan
- Whitepaper: Initializing Replication from Backup
- Whitepaper: Top SQL Server Backup Mistakes (and How to Avoid Them)
- Whitepaper: Virtual Machine Snapshots versus Database Backups
- Whitepaper: What’s on the Mind of IT When It Comes to Backup
- Webcast: How to Create Your Disaster Recovery Plan
- Webcast: Best Practices for SQL Server Backup and Disaster Recovery
- Webcast: Defend Your Database Against Disasters
- Webcast: Designing a SQL Server Backup Strategy
- Webcast: SQL Server Backup Automation and Best Practices
- Webcast: SQL Server Backup: Challenges, Best Practices and Instant Data Recovery
- Webcast: SQL Server Backup Strategies – Architect a Solid Backup Foundation
- Webcast: SQL Server Backup Strategies: One Size Does Not Fit All
- Infographic: Top 5 Backup Mistakes
Topics : Database Backup,
Products : SQL Safe Backup,