Whitepaper : Database Backup Compression Versus File Deduplication
Database administrators often argue with their storage administrators about not compressing database backups. Storage administrators state that they can get better file deduplication from storage devices such as EMC Data Domain. Storage administrators often tell database administrators not to compress their database backups.
This whitepaper discusses why not compressing database backups is likely a terrible idea. In particular, the whitepaper discusses what file deduplication is, why file deduplication slows backup and database restores, why the storage administrator is wrong, and why deduplication of compressed and encrypted data does not work well.
Stan Geiger is Director, Product Management, Multiple-Platform Tools at Idera, Inc. He has over 25 years of experience using Microsoft SQL Server. He has worked in various industries including finance, healthcare, energy, and the US Department of Defense. Stan has held several positions including database developer, database administrator, and business intelligence architect. His experience lies in building data warehouses and extract, transform, and load (ETL) platforms, business intelligence analytics, and online transaction processing (OLTP) systems.
Register to read the full whitepaper.
- Whitepaper: How Compliance Impacts Backup Strategy
- Whitepaper: How To Develop And Test A Disaster Recovery Plan
- Whitepaper: Initializing Replication from Backup
- Whitepaper: Top SQL Server Backup Mistakes (and How to Avoid Them)
- Whitepaper: Understanding Database Backup Strategies
- Whitepaper: Virtual Machine Snapshots versus Database Backups
- Whitepaper: What’s on the Mind of IT When It Comes to Backup
- Webcast: How to Create Your Disaster Recovery Plan
- Webcast: Best Practices for SQL Server Backup and Disaster Recovery
- Webcast: Defend Your Database Against Disasters
- Webcast: Designing a SQL Server Backup Strategy
- Webcast: SQL Server Backup Automation and Best Practices
- Webcast: SQL Server Backup: Challenges, Best Practices and Instant Data Recovery
- Webcast: SQL Server Backup Strategies – Architect a Solid Backup Foundation
- Webcast: SQL Server Backup Strategies: One Size Does Not Fit All
- Infographic: Top 5 Backup Mistakes
Topics : Database Backup,
Products : SQL Safe Backup,