Whitepaper : Virtual Machine Snapshots versus Database Backups
Why Virtual Machine Snapshots May Not Replace Database Backups Virtual machines provide exciting possibilities concerning backup, recovery, and cloning of databases. Convenient mechanisms are available for obtaining consistent snapshots of data volumes in virtual machines. Correctly implemented and tested snapshots can significantly simplify backup tasks. These snapshots can also clone databases to other environments. Snapshots of virtual machines to backup databases may be undoubtedly suitable for test and development environments. Such snapshots of virtual machines are popular with system administrators because they standardize implementations of backups across organizations and remove the need for application-specific backup configurations.
While virtual machines offer exciting mechanisms for backing up databases, there is usually no substitute for the flexibility and safety provided by tools dedicated to backing up and recovering databases, especially for production databases and high-performance workloads.
Register to read the full whitepaper.
- Whitepaper: Database Backup Compression Versus File Deduplication
- Whitepaper: How Compliance Impacts Backup Strategy
- Whitepaper: How To Develop And Test A Disaster Recovery Plan
- Whitepaper: Initializing Replication from Backup
- Whitepaper: Top SQL Server Backup Mistakes (and How to Avoid Them)
- Whitepaper: Understanding Database Backup Strategies
- Whitepaper: What’s on the Mind of IT When It Comes to Backup
- Webcast: How to Create Your Disaster Recovery Plan
- Webcast: Best Practices for SQL Server Backup and Disaster Recovery
- Webcast: Defend Your Database Against Disasters
- Webcast: Designing a SQL Server Backup Strategy
- Webcast: SQL Server Backup Automation and Best Practices
- Webcast: SQL Server Backup: Challenges, Best Practices and Instant Data Recovery
- Webcast: SQL Server Backup Strategies – Architect a Solid Backup Foundation
- Webcast: SQL Server Backup Strategies: One Size Does Not Fit All
- Infographic: Top 5 Backup Mistakes
Topics : Database Backup,
Products : SQL Safe Backup,