Whitepaper : How To Deal With an Inherited SQL Server
Whether you are a newly minted database administrator or a highly experienced one, the first week at a new job can stretch your patience to breaking as you try to get answers to a wide range of questions about how things work and why things are done (or not done) a certain way. It is perhaps the most dangerous week you’ll have as a database administrator, because you do not know exactly what you do not know. This whitepaper is meant to be a roadmap for that first week to help you make sure you are asking the right questions and prioritizing your efforts in a way to minimize risk. It is also to help you set expectations for yourself and those you work with. The whitepaper describes nine tasks including taking notes, setting up a workstation, getting access, finding documentation, identifying instances, checking on free space and file growth, learning the change management process and maintenance windows, and checking on service packs. The tasks outlined in the whitepaper are based on the experiences of the author during the first weeks as a database administrator new to an organization. The tasks form the basis for his own best practices during his first weeks. Follow these guidelines for a great start. They may well help identify follow up tasks that will take weeks to complete. Remember to prioritize the efforts so that one does the things that matter most first.
Andy Warren is a SQL Server consultant based in Orlando. Andy was a founding member of SQLServerCentral.com, President of the Orlando SQL Server Users Group, and one of the founders of SQLSaturday. He has been a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) since 2009 and has written and presented extensively on topics relevant to SQL Server professionals.
Register to read the full whitepaper.
- Webcast: Do You Know Where Your Databases Are?
- Webcast: Managing Your SQL Server Infrastructure
- Webcast: Taking Control of Your Organization’s SQL Server Sprawl
- Webcast: Top SQL Server Database Management Challenges and Tracking SQL Server Databases
- Infographic: Why Use SQL Inventory Manager?
- Datasheet: SQL Inventory Manager
- Video: SQL Inventory Manager Overview
- Video: How To Customize Inventory Fields in SQL Inventory Manager
- Video: How To Discover and Visualize Your Environment with SQL Inventory Manager
- Video: How to View and See Tags in SQL Inventory Manager
- Video: How to View and Use Tags in SQL Inventory Manager
- Video: How To Get Started with SQL Inventory Manager
- Video: How to Create a Custom Inventory Field in SQL Inventory Manager
Topics : Database Administration,Database Diagnostics,Database Monitoring,Database Performance,
Products : SQL Inventory Manager,