Video : ER/Studio Enterprise Team Edition
Document Databases. Part 4: As Part of Data Governance Initiatives
When documenting a database as part of a data governance initiative, it is important to browse the business glossary and classify data modeling assets against it. Here are the steps to follow:
- Understand the business glossary: Start by understanding the business glossary, which is a set of terms and definitions used in the organization. This glossary often includes definitions of data entities, attributes, and relationships.
- Browse the business glossary: Browse the business glossary to identify relevant terms and definitions that apply to the database being documented. This will help to ensure that one aligns the database with the organization’s definitions and standards.
- Classify data modeling assets: Classify the data modeling assets against the business glossary by identifying the entities, attributes, and relationships that correspond to the terms and definitions in the glossary. This will help to ensure that one structures the database in a way that aligns with the organization’s standards.
- Document the classification: Document how one classified the data modeling assets against the business glossary to ensure that it is understandable. This documentation should include all relevant terms and definitions, as well as any specific information about the data model.
- Validate the classification: Validate the classification to ensure that it represents the relationship between the data modeling assets and the business glossary. This will help to ensure that the data governance initiative is effective in ensuring that one aligned the database with the standards of the organization.
This will help to ensure that the data governance initiative is effective in achieving its goals.
Watch this video to discover how to document a database as part of a data governance initiative, including browsing the business glossary within ER/Studio and classifying data modeling assets against the business glossary.
Learn how to reverse engineer a database then document the physical model with business friendly metadata using IDERA’s ER/Studio in this video series:
- Whitepaper: Aligning Data Governance with Business-Driven Data Architecture
- Whitepaper: Data Modeling is a Form of Data Governance
- Whitepaper: Empowering Operational Data Governance with Data Lineage
- Whitepaper: The Elements of Data Governance
- Webcast: 5 Best Practices for Operationalizing Data Governance
- Webcast: Avoid the Seven Mistakes Data Modelers Make in Aiding Data Governance
- Webcast: Data Architecture and Data Governance: A Powerful Data Management Duo
- Webcast: Data Modeling is a form of Data Governance
- Webcast: Modeling Data Governance
- Webcast: The Power of Common Language in Data Governance
- Webcast: IDERA Live | Business Value Metrics for Data Governance
- Webcast: Human Factors in Data Governance
- Webcast: The Model Enterprise: A Blueprint for Enterprise Data Governance
- Infographic: Establish a Data Governance Foundation with ER/Studio
- Video: Team Server for Data Governance
- Video: Using Business Processes for Data Governance
- Solution Brief: Fortify Your Data Governance with Enterprise Data Architecture
- Case Study: Accolade Streamlined Data Modeling and Team Collaboration for Data Governance