Geek Sync Webcast : Why is the Same Query Sometimes Slow?
You swear nothing has changed, but all of a sudden, out of nowhere, queries that used to be fast are suddenly slow. Even weirder, you take the slow query from the application, run it in SSMS, and it’s totally fast! What’s going on? You restart SQL Server or update statistics, and the problem seems to go away – but only for a few days or weeks, and then it comes right back. You’re familiar enough with execution plans to realize that you’re getting different plans, but…why? And how do you fix it long term?
In this session, you’ll see live demos of the most common culprit: parameter sniffing. You’ll learn how to recognize parameter sniffing when it strikes, understand what causes it, see how to fix it short term with the lowest impact possible, and learn 7 ways to fix it long term.
Brent Ozar loves to make SQL Server faster and more reliable. He created sp_Blitz® and sp_AskBrent®, coauthored Professional SQL Server 2008 Internals and Troubleshooting, and he loves sharing knowledge at BrentOzar.com. He’s a Microsoft Certified Master of SQL Server and a Microsoft MVP.
24X7 SQL performance monitoring, alerting and diagnostics
- Monitor performance for physical, virtual, and cloud environments.
- Monitor queries and query plans to see the causes of blocks and deadlocks.
- Monitor application transactions with SQL Workload Analysis add-on.
- View expert recommendations from SQL Doctor to optimize performance.
- Alert predictively with settings to avoid false alerts.
- View summary of top issues and alerts with the web console add-on.