Geek Sync Webcast : SQL Server Cryptology – A Primer
So, you were told you need to encrypt “the database.” Now what?
There are many reasons to encrypt your database. You might have to comply with HIPAA or PCI DSS, or you might just have generally sensitive data. Correctly implemented Encryption is one of the best protection mechanisms available today. But, how do you do it “correctly”?
Join IDERA and Sebastian Meine (Ph.D.) for an introduction to the fascinating world of cryptology. In this session, geared towards the beginning DBA, you will learn the difference between symmetric and asymmetric encryption and discover what a cryptographic one-way hash function is. After exploring the different encryption types and their definitions, you will be able to observe SQL Server cryptography in action, including encryption, decryption, transparent data encryption (TDE) and hashing. We will pay special attention to areas where the choice of encryption technology affects your database maintenance and recovery strategies.
After attending this session, you will be able to:
- Explain the difference between symmetric and asymmetric encryption.
- Select the right cryptographic technology for your special security requirement.
- Implement these in your SQL Server environment.
To benefit from this introductory session, you should feel comfortable writing simple SELECT statements.
Sebastian Meine, Ph.D. is the SQL Stylist behind sqlity.net llc. In 2010 he founded sqlity.net to fully engage in his passion for SQL Server. Armed with a Ph.D. in Computer Science and years of experience in architecting DBs for a global Fortune 50 company, Sebastian now provides training and consulting services for his clients, specializing in SQL Server Security, Test Driven Development and Performance. Sebastian is an experienced public speaker, published author, president of the Philly PASS Chapter, PASS Regional Mentor and coauthor & lead developer of tSQLt.
24X7 SQL performance monitoring, alerting and diagnostics
- Monitor performance for physical, virtual, and cloud environments.
- Monitor queries and query plans to see the causes of blocks and deadlocks.
- Monitor application transactions with SQL Workload Analysis add-on.
- View expert recommendations from SQL Doctor to optimize performance.
- Alert predictively with settings to avoid false alerts.
- View summary of top issues and alerts with the web console add-on.